Wellington, most people would say in Shropshire, but strictly in the County of The Wrekin, was awarded Walkers are Welcome status in June, 2010.
We have two aims, to promote the interests of local walkers in Wellington, and to promote Wellington to walkers elsewhere.
As well as belonging to the
national network of Walkers are Welcome towns we belong to a regional grouping of WaW towns in or adjacent to the Shropshire Hills AONB .
The AONB WaW towns have produced this leaflet.
Locally, as well as being represented on the Local Access Forum and getting involved in physical path work, we organise 2 walks a month and an annual walking festival.
Paths, rights of way. We have established a practical working group to tackle small scale problems on our local paths. Applications to join are very welcome.
Wellington Walking Festivals This page now has full information about the recent festival from 12th - 18th September 2016, and links to information about our 2012-2015 festivals.
Walking locally, including guided and self-led walks
Information about Wellington
Map of walks on the Wrekin and Ercall. Wellington Town Council's double sided leaflet (warning 3.5MB download), featuring Wellington's history and the town centre map on one side and some local walks on the other.
Postcard showing the walks above.
Photos Latest: Various path maintenance shots, the advertising stall and the Steeraway diversion and Coalbrookdale walks.
Please visit our supporting businesses page.
About us Including a leaflet about the group and our constitution.
- Latest News: ( see here for more details )
- Our next regular walk is on Sunday November 6th - see here for more details
- Our next path maintenance session is on Thursday October 27th see here for more details and here
for some recent improvements by the Council and by us.
- The Walking Festival is over for another year. From all accounts it went well.
Many thanks to the leaders and the participants who all made the work in organising this seem worthwhile.
- The rest of the committee nominated our secretary for the Telford and Wrekin Active LifeStyle Awards, here she is receiving a runner up award.
- Photographic Competition The photos show what a variety of scenery we have and what activities are possible in our corner of the world, and also what talented photographers we have.
The winner is Malcolm Skelton for a photograph of a deer taken on the Spring around the Wrekin walk. They must have been a very quiet group , at that point at least.
The entries that received votes are here.
- There was a consultation on the future of the Shropshire Way, currently this goes through the edge of Wellington, from Powder Lane through to Christine Avenue. We would like to keep it Wellington on the route.
The consultation is here.
- Our 6th AGM was held on Sunday 12th June, it was preceeded by a short walk and tea and cake. The papers, including the minutes, are all accessible from
the news page.
- We have produced a newsletter about the various things happening this summer, a pdf version is here
- We have revised the information leaflet about the group which now includes a membership form, a pdf version is here
- Veolia Telford and Wrekin Envirogrant Scheme Grant application - unsuccessful We applied for a grant for the printing of a new walk leaflet we are hoping to produce, but we have been unsuccessful, We still hope to produce the leaflet and find other funding to enable us to print it.
- Wellington Town Council Grant application - successful We have been successful in a grant application to Wellington Town Council- for which we are very grateful.
- The Bradt Slow Travel guide to Shropshire, by Marie Kreft , for which we contributed a walk, has been published and looks very good.
- Annual Report 2015 Walkers are Welcome Towns have to produce an annual report to maintain their status. This year we have decided to publish our report,
it can be found
here . Please take a look to see the range of activities we have undertaken in the past year.
We have now had very good feedback from our monitor
Our constitution talks about members, but says that we cannot charge a membership fee.
We had never had members as such, we have loosely regarded people who come on any of our activities as members, this includes our email list.
At the June 2015 committee meeting, we decided we would also introduce the concept of Patrons. These may, or may not, be walkers or members of the path maintenance group, but would be individuals who wished to further the aims of Wellington Walkers are Welcome.
The Membership Form
explains this further.
There is also a Word version here
- Badges for Sale . We now have badges for sale (50p), here is the design , and here is the badge. The aim is to get the logo around the town and the local area.
| The Wrekin
|| Apley Wood
Wellington Walkers are Welcome
This page has been prepared by
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee.
This is an ad hoc group of interested local walkers. We are not a party political organisation;
we have supporters of a range of political parties, and none, on our management committee who work effectively together.
The inspiration for the
group came from a combination
of Wellington LA21 group and
Wellington Town Council without whose help this would not have been possible.
Wellington Walkers are Welcome Management Committee
contact us or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated 20th October 2016